Friday, May 18

A Word Is Like a Latter


On a daily basis I sit with my 2nd oldest son and listen as he does his best to read the books on our shelf. For a long time, I'd have him spell a word he was stuck on and then give him the answer. Until I figured out the easiest way to explain the process of sounding out a word.
"remember, a word is like a latter. you have to step on every rung of a latter to get to the top. Likewise you must use every written letter to sound a word out properly. Even if that letter is silent or blended, it still counts for something."
These words proved to be gold for him. He now understands and practices his phonics much better than he had in the past.
Teaching my son to read has proven to be a bit of a challenge but I know with time and diligence we will get there sooner rather than later.
Learning to work with APD, is a slow process but with God's blessing, we are making progress everyday. I hope this helps you and if you have any other ideas for teaching and learning with APD I'd really love to hear from you.
Until Next time, take care, God bless, & as always; Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, I'm always open to questions, or any constructive suggestions & feedback.